Saturday, September 8, 2007

Down and Deceit

Ok okay, so I know I’m a total dork- but I’m gonna tell you anyway.

So I was at Macy’s today….and was looking at their down comforters- so I came home and was looking online- doing some comparisons. I got sooo steamed. Macy’s is totally- in my opinion- misleading people. They have labeled their comforters Lightweight, Medium weight and Heavyweight. So you would assume heavyweight is better right? It’s more expensive. But it’s not. They are selling comforters based on the weight- not the fill power. The heavyweight comforters are only like 500 fill power! But they are thick and bulk. Which tells me that in a year or two- the comforter is going to be crappy= it’s going to get packed down and not work right anymore. Their lightweights have a fill power of 600-700. I just think that’s so crazy. I really hate situations where consumers are misled. Please don't be confused by their marketing ploy's. They are selling heavier comforters with lower fill power- because it cost less to make- meaning a larger profit margin for them.

If you are in the market for a comforter, here's some information to help you be informed. Down is natures best insulator, and keeps you warm trapping heat in the air by the down cluster. You are kept warm by the later of warm air trapping in the comforter, not by trapping heat next to your body. Fill power is the number of cubic inches one ounce of down will fill. The more and larger the down clusters (that's what keeps you warm), the higher the fill power. The higher the fill power, the better the air trapping and insulating capacity of the down. You increase the insulating capability be increasing fill power NOT adding more down. Too much down will compress it down- defeating it's insulating capacity.

When looking at a comforter - you should decide how cold you get in a cold room. In a 70 degree room, are you comfortable, hot, or cold sleeping? If you are hot (warm) you would want a fill power of 550-575, if you are comfortable a fill power of 650-675 would suit you best. If you on the other hand are cold (not by dear sweet husband!) you would want a fill power of 700 or higher. Ahhh- but what to do if you are cold, but your husband is hot (speaking from experience)- rely on the magic of layering. Chose a down comforter that will work best from whichever partner gets warmer- and then add a throw or blanket onto the side of the colder partner. Works great!

Now you know :-D

1 comment:

ann clary said...

Wow! Good to know. Very informative and should I ever be privaledged enough to actually buy a down comforter, instead of get on hand me down style, well, then I will know what to get. I am ALWAYS cold!

grin,
ann